Monday, August 18, 2008

Freedom at Last

Meli, my son Tanner, and I went out for an Overnight Trip aboard the Freedom out of San Pedro's 22nd Street Landing for a shot at the massive amounts of Yellowfin Tuna and Dorado that have been in the counts. Unfortunately everyone else had the same idea...We hopped on board with 34 other anglers and got under way. I was fishing off the back of the boat in the harbor and caught a Halibut!!!!! It was short and tossed back, but I was hoping that was a sign of great fishing ahead....NOT!!!!

We trolled around forever and at 10am I got the one and only jig strike of the day on a black and purple broomtail feather I selected out of my box. Nice Fish!!! 30# Albacore, wrong flavor, but I was so stoked to get it and it got my blood pumping and the skunk off the boat!!!


We found one more small school of fish on the way home under a pod of Dolphin that produced 5 more fish, this time Yellowfin Tuna, No one was home at any of the Kelp Paddies...SO...for 36 anglers the final count was 1 Albacore, 5 Yellowfin...STANKY!
Tommy, the captain, was absolutely wonderful and totally excited to have Gold Coast Lady Anglers on board!!! He even gave us a couple of shirts and 2 hats!!! Thanks Tommy for a great time despite the fishing!!!!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Great fish! On a jig? Damn. The legend continues. Thanks for the post.

T. Brook Smith said...

Nice blog!

If you'll allow me, I'd like to post your link on my own fishing/conservation blog. I have the goal of pulling together all kinds of fishing blogs from around the world, and this site would be a great addition. Stop by sometime and check things out.

http://brooksmith.blogspot.com/