Saturday, August 30, 2008

Alaska, Day 1, 4:00 am

First of all, there'll be no daily blogging and the videos will probably have to wait till I get home. There's only internet in the dining room so far and there's not much time or room in there.

The adventure for many, mostly me, starts today. I'm wearing clothes I've never worn to do something I've never done. Most of what I've heard is that I'll be freezing and barfing all day.

Yesterday was pretty amazing. I feel like I'm back at overnight camp except stepped up a notch or two. The food is great and the accommodations rival a 3 star hotel. The star here so far, though is the scenery. It's just plain magnificent. Mary showed me some pictures she Mo, Jan, and Susan took during their hikes: eagles; bears; salmon spawning; and the most beautiful water/forest landscapes.

I'm in the dining room as all the fisherpeople file in for breakfast before the day on the ocean . From a conversation I just heard I am now wondering: "How am I going to take off all these clothes if I have to go to the bathroom on the boat?" Apparently, the bathroom is little more than a bucket?

I think even the most experienced of us are a bit anxious, but, I'm not naming names.

No comments: