Sunday, June 27, 2010

Seabass slay on the Ultra

What an amazing trip on the Ultra out of 22nd Street Landing in San Pedro....That boat is already bad ass, but with the group we had, we knew it was going to be a stellar trip, regardless of the fishing, which ended up being off the hook!

Day 1 had us rockin and rollin, one hand on the rail and one on the rod...bruised hips as a bonus, but none of that mattered once I hung the first fish....Fred followed and then I lost track as nearly every rod bent and the "comin' downs" and "goin' overs" commenced....my fish was stuck and as quick as I could I got back into the water..Tap, tap.....Fish on again! I had the high count for the morning until Big Gabe got his three fish limit in the late morning. Brian reset a few times trying to escape the Black Seabass invasion and Fred ended up hooking a fiesty yellow to liven up the party.





Day 2 was beautiful, We had no luck in the gray and tried for a while...Tim ended up hooking a nice Halibut in the 25-30 pound range and Jimbo called in the Blacks again along with leopard sharks so we made a move. Brian must have got a hot tip because we got to see those new engines go full throttle as we pulled up to an armada of boats full on bendo...Our lucky day.

Fred got bit instant and lands a complete freakin toad...., then again, then again...He had three fish and I had not even got bit yet...I lightened up the slider and went to my 25 pound set up and finally got a piece of the action...

Fred's 35+ pounder...




My contribution



Jimbo ends up being the hot stick of day 2...heck, he was on everytime I looked over at him. Fred and Bill were right behind Jimbo, just absolutely on fire...Pretty cool having Mike and Tommy cheering us on as we pulled on the fish right between the Big Game 90 and the Freedom....

We called it a day after the bite slowed to a crawl and headed for the barn...




We were pretty sure Fred's fish was the big one of the trip, but once we got all the fish out of the hold it became very apparent!



Big Thank You to Drew for putting this wonderful trip together....and to all the great company we had on this trip. I am truely priveledged to have such a great group of guys that I can call my friends....Love all of ya'!

Brian and crew were fabulous as always. The Ultra will continue to be one of my all time favorites!


No comments: