Saturday, April 18, 2009

My First Halibut!!!


I went out on the Aloha Spirit Friday. It was the first day this week that looked like better conditions and I have been itching to go and catch fish. I went out ON 4/1 with Gregg on the Island Spirit and die a lot of fishing but not much catching so I wanted to go out on Shawn Stewards boat, as his numbers have been better than most for the full day and 3/4 day boats.

I fished all day and caught 5 or 6 fish all nice but nothing really big or exciting and some really nice quality reds & chucks and 2 excellent lings were caught.

Shawn took us over to the kelp beds to see if there were any White Seabass biters but no takers Then we went for a halibut drift in Smugglers Bay. Still no biters, just as he told the boat to wind em'up and cut off your hooks & tackle - I got bit. I really thought it was a whitefish that was lost. I was fishing my lightest pole with a reverse dropper loop on a fluorocarbon leader. It did not fight I thought I was reeling up someones old boot until it stated to come into view and Shawn (saying it is a Halibut, it's a nice Halibut!) was at my shoulder the whole time telling me what to do and not do. He gaffed it about a foot below the surface and it was on board then I got excited!

A Big Thank You to Shawn and his crew for my first Halibut and first time winning a Jack Pot!!!!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Woo Hoo!! Congrats.