Monday, September 6, 2010

Pacific Dawn Tuna Trip

OMG - what can I say - just another fabulous Pacific Dawn charter. Thursday evening -boarding time - finally. Everyone got settled in and hunkered down to sleep in preparation for the tuna hunt. Unfortunately, Friday morning got off to a very slow start. Nothing was hitting the trolling rods and people started giving up their turns to take a nap. Well, that's when I had to take matters into my own hands. Somebody had to wake up these tuna. I couldn't help myself so I started "pole" dancing. I worked myself into a frenzy and the tuna gods must have been enjoying it as well, because that's when the afternoon bite hit. When it was all said and done -13 yellowfin tuna were brought on board. I didn't get bit until the end of the day, but got lucky and landed the jackpot fish. I was grateful as I haven't won a jackpot in about 5 years. We were back in business. We then cleaned up, enjoyed "happy hour" and a fabulous dinner, courtesy of Whitney. We even celebrated Capt Pat's birthday. A good time was had by all.

Saturday morning, I was up a 4am and a few of us sat in the galley having coffee and deciding our plan of attack for the day. Around 6am, Capt Pat announced big marks around the boat and to get your bait in the water asap. Well, that's when all hell broke loose. It was one tuna after another coming on board.

[Image]

I about 3 hours we had 55 more yellowfin tuna on board in addition to 2 bluefin and 1albacore. Mary Lukas was the only one to hook an albacore.[Image]

It ended up to be a fabulous trip. We enjoyed the company of Jerry Stussman from Ventura County Sportfishing and his pals Bob and Mike. I'd to extend a very special "thank-you" to our very special guest "Bob" who was on the quiet side, but really made an impact on everyone.

It was a great group on board and everyone had a great time and we all came home with coolers stuffed with tuna.

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

Many thanks to Ana for giving up most of her fishing time to be filming this great trip - can't wait to see the footage. You ROCK Ana !! Hopefully her assistant Kevin if finally feeling better - poor guys was sick for most of the two days.

[Image]


I would also like to extend our sincere GCLA thanks to the Captain and crew of the Pacific Dawn. [Image]
They are just so awesome. It does not get any better than this. I personally learned so much about tuna fishing in just 2 short days from them and am very grateful for their instruction. And I know the rest of the Ladies feel the same way. Too bad it's over so quickly, but we are booked for next year and can't wait to do it all over again.

No comments: