Saturday, June 20, 2009

Bumpy day on the Stardust









Well we're back from a day out of Santa Barbara on the Stardust. Unfortunately the swells were too big to get out near Santa Rosa Island, and the fishing closer to shore wasn't all that great today. We mostly caught rock fish, with a few very small ling cod (not keepers) caught. One guy did really catch a rock -- maybe 10 pounds or more so it was looking a bit exciting.) I got drenched by waves on deck shortly before we changed directions. Before me was another lady (not a club lady) who took a big hit too. She never did make it out to fish. It was cold and windy for quite a bit of the day. There were a number of seasick fishermen, but no sick GCLA ladies. Babsie turned back at the dock since her son was already feeling sick -- and you made the right decision!! (He would have felt REALLY bad had he gone out.) Chris did win the jackpot though, and as always it was good to be out on the water. This was my first time ocean fishing with my husband Kevin too, so that was a good thing. And he ran into captain Merritt who used to take him out of Santa Barbara regularly on the Seahawk years ago. Merritt was doing ocean/marine biology research instead of taking fishermen out on boats. The Stardust crew worked hard, but it wasn't our day for many fish. (They did tell me that the big white sea bass from earlier in the week was caught in the afternoon on the beach.) Our next time out we hope to catch more fish!

2 comments:

Wacky Wahine said...

JACKPOT! Nice ... !!!

Webmaster said...

Posted for Babsie:



Yes, unfortunately my son, that may have been due to an empty stomach so early was sick on the boat before we left. Maybe it was the fishy smell that we as adults seem to be able to swallow - but if you are new to the game - you know it's tough.He was VERY disappointed and hopes to try again soon. Bless his heart - he sees how much I love it and doesn't want to disappoint me - I said 'Heck Travis, if you were out there and feeling ill - it would be no fun for anyone!! I appreciate his honesty.

Congratulations Chris on the Jackpot - GREAT for you and I will see you on the rail on the competition on July 11th.